Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Latter-Day Prophet

Today I had the idea to share a poem I wrote that I hold very dear to my heart.  I wrote this when I was about 18. 


A Latter-Day Prophet
By: Rachel McKernan
A young contemplative boy confused
By the many different religious sects and doctrinal fudes
A scripture struck him deep to the heart one day
And he knew he must ask God of the truth in faith
He retired to a secluded area in the woods on a beautiful spring day
He knelt on his knees, and to our Father in Heaven, began to pray
A light descended from above
God once again speaking to his daughters and sons
A faithful young boy-not yet a man
Commanded to be an instrument in our Heavenly Father’s hands
The light was so glorious and bright-as though the leaves would catch fire
But the reverends, priests, and people labeled him nothing but a liar
All the persecution and malice
The young boy had not asked for this
Why condemn him for telling the truth?
This young, obscure boy just entering his youth
Joseph never denied it once
He endured to the end
Made the complete ordinances of Christ’s gospel available to the children of men
Joseph prophesied, “I go like a lamb to the slaughter”
A few days later in Carthage Jail, the latter-day prophet was martyred
Joseph Smith’s mission on this earth was complete
He gave this world all the understanding and truth we would ever need
His life had been in the hand’s of our Father above
The faithful prophet’s testimony was sealed in his blood
He resides with the prophets of old in glory
He shall be resurrected and exalted on the glorious first morning!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome blog Rachel. I think you are a special young woman. I know you can achieve everything you set your mind to. Your friend, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, thanks! i walked away after i showed my friend carla bunch my blog and she snuck in this comment. i love you bunch family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was amazing! You are so gifted with words!

    ReplyDelete